The Paul C. Miller Sparta Municipal Airport is one of West-Michigan’s fastest growing general aviation facilities. Millions of dollars in funding are secured for runway lighting upgrades, parking upgrades, weather equipment upgrades and more. These projects will start in roughly one month. The village also has plans to add additional hanger space and an onsite mechanic soon.
Airport Manager Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Management of all airport operations in compliance with FAA and MDOT regulations.
- Management of airport fueling and revenue operations.
- Interface and collaboration with airport tenants and transient customers.
- Hangar and lease execution, compliance, and maintenance.
- Seasonal grounds keeping including light landscaping, mowing and snow removal.
- Preparation and management of budgets.
- Supervision and training of part-time airport staff.
- Airport upgrade project management with consultation of the village manager, engineers & staff
Valid driver’s license and high school diploma or equivalent required. Experience in Aviation Management or Business, or comparable aviation experience preferred. Position requires Airport Manager license through State of Michigan or the ability and desire to earn license within the first three months of employment.
Position will have flexible hours. The workload of the position necessitates on average 32 hours per week. As such, there is the possibility a full-time employment agreement may be negotiated. The schedule will include some weekends, evenings, and holidays. Salary will be dependent upon qualifications, schedule, and applicant needs. Benefits will be negotiable, with the possibility of a MERS defined contribution retirement plan, paid time off, and health insurance as possibilities. If the new manager has a personal aircraft, complimentary hanger space will be provided.
The airport employs a part-time assistant airport manager who works a flexible schedule to accommodate his full-time outside employment. The current airport manager has given ample notice of his departure. The village intends to utilize this time to provide at least 30 days of overlap in employment to ease the transition for the new airport manager.
To apply please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to James Lower, Village Manager (email@example.com) email only. Deadline to apply is March 31st, 2023. Please contact Mr. Lower at (616) 887-8251 or email with any questions (email preferred). Visit www.spartami.org for more information on the Village of Sparta.
The Village of Sparta is an equal opportunity employer.